Monday - Friday
8:00 am - Noon; 1:00 pm - 5:00 pm
(509) 488-2031

Adams County Health Department  

After Hours Contact: 

Adams County Sheriff Department Ritzville
Phone: (509) 659-1122

Adams County Sheriff Department Othello
Phone: (509) 488-2061 or  
State Communicable Disease Hotline: 1-877-539-4344


Adams County Health Department - Othello Main Office

425 E Main, Ste 700
Othello, WA 99344
Telephone Number: 509-488-2031
Fax Number: 509-331-0030  

Adams County Health Department - Ritzville Satellite Office

108 W. Main
Ritzville, WA 99169
Telephone Number: 509-659-3315
Fax Number: 509-659-4109

Location of
Adams County
Law & Justice Employment &
Departments & Programs » Health Department » Environmental Health Services
Environmental Health Services


Environmental Health Fee Schedule

Food Worker Card Education

We offer classes and information on proper food preparation, storage, handling and temperatures. All individuals who serve or sell food to the public are required to have a valid food worker card.

Get Your Food Worker Card Online

If you are a resident of Adams County, you can now get a Food Worker Card online! Go through the training, take the test and get your card at your convenience. The training and test is offered in English, Cambodian, Cantonese, Korean, Mandarin, Russian, Spanish, Vietnamese and Closed Caption.

This site is the only online training program authorized to provide valid Food Worker cards in Adams County and the card you receive is valid throughout all of Washington State.

Before you get started:

Make sure you are connected to a working printer. You will be printing your own card when you have completed the training and test.

The cost of the class is $10 and can be paid with VISA, MasterCard and debit cards with the VISA or MasterCard logo. Payment will be required after you have passed the test. You cannot make arrangements to pay later with a credit card, check or cash.

The Adams County Health Department has partnered with Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department to offer this online service. Be advised that when your debit or credit billing statement arrives, the charges for your new online food worker card will be listed under "Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department."

For out of state residents that work in Adams County, please click "Out of State" when starting the program and select the Zip Code closest to the area you will be working in: Othello 99344, Lind 99341, Ritzville 99169, Washtucna 99371, etc.

Turn off your pop-up blocker. The pop-up blocker may cause problems while signing on to the website. The pop-up blocker control can usually be found under Tools on your browser menu bar.

Make sure you have the latest version of Adobe Flash on your computer. You can download Adobe Flash for free at

Give yourself about an hour to complete the training and test.

Now that you're ready, take the online course and test at:

Online Food Worker Card Frequently Asked Questions


             Spanish classes in Othello are only offered the first Thursday of the month at 9:00am.  Spanish class is by appointment.  Classes cost $10 and participant must bring a photo ID.

             Multiple languages are available on the Kiosk in the lobby Monday-Friday 8:00-10:30am and 1:00-3:30 pm and can also be done on-line at



             Multiple languages are available on the Kiosk in the lobby on Wednesdays 8:30-10:30am and 1:00-3:00pm and can also be done on-line at


Food Safety

The health department deals with permitting, inspecting and conductng plan reviews for all food service establishments, including temporary food events.  We also provide guidance, training and technical assistance to all retail food establishments.  Training topics include education on food safety in the establishment, as well as at home, recent food recalls and other safety related issues.

For information regarding current food recalls please visit:                    

For more information on food safety visit the DOH website:                   

National Restaurant Association offers ServSafe Manager classes:

Temporary Food

Any vendor / person that sells or distributes food to the public must obtain a temporary food permit. All temporary food permits must be turned in at least 2 business days before the event or late fees will apply.

Date of Temp Food Event

Application Due and Fee Paid


Wednesday of previous week


Thursday of previous week


Friday of previous week













Drinking Water Services

Numerous small public water systems provide water to people living in Adams County. Along with DOH, we work with these smaller systems on proper well site locations, planning, and system installations. We also provide needed educational information and consultations to these water systems.

  • Coliform Sampling Procedures
  • Coliform Sampling Procedures - Spanish 
  • Well Disinfection Brochure
  • Well Disinfection Brochure - Spanish

    Information on Environmental Health Issues

    We provide information to the community on various environmental health issues.  Areas for which information is available include:  indoor air quality, waterborne and foodborne diseases, lead exposure, radon gas, and numerous other potential environmental hazards.  Information on hazardous materials, such as lead, pesticides, and asbestos is available.

    Land Development

    Land Development includes all subdivisions, short and long plats in the county.  We evaluate land development projects to ensure septic suitability and water availability.

    Living Environment

    The Living Environment program includes inspecting public use swimming pools for safety and other potential hazards and providing information regarding proper maintenance of pools.  Our objective is to monitor water quality and safety issues at the facility to prevent illness and injury.

    For more information regarding pools, please visit DOH website:                            

    On-site Sewage Systems

    Many sewage systems and septic tank installations are inspected each year.  We review sewage disposal and septic plans as well as educate installers and septic haulers.  We also investigate complaints about sewage leaks and provide information on new and existing septic systems.

    Home Owner Education for your septic system 

    School Based Activities

    We conduct plan reviews for all remodeling and new construction of schools in the county.  School kitchens are also inspected at least twice a year to ensure that safe food handling practices are being followed.

    Solid Waste

    Solid waste consists of garbage, construction debris, commercial refuse, sludge from water supply or waste treatment plants, and other discarded materials.  All solid waste must be properly stored in trash receptacles and taken to an approved transfer station or landfill for disposal.  We review plans for waste handling facilities, and monitor and inspect solid waste treatment sites, transfer stations, and disposal sites to ensure that state and local solid waste codes are being followed.  We also investigate unlawful dumping complaints and require the owner to comply with regulations.


    Each year, numerous animal bites take place in the county.  We monitor the animal bites for rabies surveillance and educate the public on animal bite safety.

    West Nile Virus is also a common vector issue in Adams County.  We keep an eye out for dead birds and respond diligently to all dead crows, jays, ravens, magpies, and hawks.  To report dead birds in Adams County, please visit the following link:

  • Website by Spokane Web Communications | Print Page