Position: Building Inspector
Brief Duties and Responsibilities: Inspects construction work, installation methods, and materials to determine and assure compliance with building, fire, plumbing, mechanical and related County, City, State and national construction codes, ordinances, regulations and safety standards. The Building Inspector also investigates public complaints. Work is performed under the policies and administrative guidance of the Planning Director/Building Official.
Working Conditions: Work is performed both within an office setting and out of the office at construction and inspection sites. Inspector is required to climb ladder, walk on scaffolding, enter crawl spaces under structures and operate a motor vehicle. Required to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time. Require sufficient hearing and speech ability to communicate verbally. Require manual dexterity and visual acuity to operate a computer, telephone, and peripherals.
Minimum Qualifications: High school diploma or GED equivalent. State of Washington (ICC) code certifications are preferred. Applicants must have knowledge of building principles and practices, plumbing and mechanical principles, and State Energy Codes. Adams County requires applicants to be certified as a residential building inspector (RBI) within the first 12 months and must have or become certified as a commercial building inspector (CBI) within the first 36 months of hire. Under an agreement with the Courthouse Union placement within the range and advancement are given for certain valid certifications. A valid Washington State driver’s license is required, while a driving record acceptable to the County may be requested.
Application: Employment application, resume and cover letter required.Contact the Adams County Planning Department at 425 E. Main Street, Othello, WA 99344, or visit our website at www.co.adams.wa.us to download a copy. Applications may be sent via; fax (509)488-4155, call (509)488 9441 or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
SELECTION IS BASED ON QUALIFICATIONS, BACKGROUND CHECK, AND ORAL INTERVIEW.
SUMMARY JOB DESCRIPTION
1.0 MAJOR FUNCTION AND PURPOSE
Persons in this position are responsible for assuring that building and construction permits in the County are in compliance with County, State, and Federal standards for health, safety and welfare of its citizens, and to insure compliance with all building regulations.
2.0 SUPERVISION RECEIVED
Persons in this position are given significant discretion, within the scope of policy and regulations, in the routine performance of their duties. Supervision and guidance are received from the Building and Planning Director.
The supervisor periodically interviews the inspector on methods and results, suggests specific training seminars, and monitors all projects.
3.0 SUPERVISION EXERCISED
Persons in this position normally do not supervise anyone.
4.0 SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Examines building plans before permits are given. Looks at water availability, zoning requirements, sewer hook ups, and energy code requirements.
- Inspects all job sites, issues permits, and performs progressive inspections.
- Maintains a good working relationship with private citizens, contractors, builders and others where firmness, tact, and diplomacy are required to obtain compliance and cooperation.
- Studies and researches constantly changing codes to keep in touch with changes in the field and to upgrade skills.
- Confers with engineers, developers, architects, as well as with other agencies and the public in acquiring information and coordinating planning and zoning matters; conduct site inspections; provide information regarding County development requirements.
- Accept and analyze development applications; prepare appropriate noticing; attend public hearings and follow up on matters requiring a zoning administration decision.
- Interpret and apply environmental quality laws and regulations to ensure that development, county projects, and code amendments are in compliance.
- Maintain a filing system of various documents and reports for reference.
- Review development proposals and work with developers to reach agreement on acceptable site plans; review various development applications for compliance with appropriate regulations and policies; prepare reports of recommendation.
- Provide staff support to a variety of boards and commissions; attend and participate in professional groups and committees.
- Provide information to the public regarding zoning, land use and the general plan; participate in public meetings as necessary.
- Performs other tasks as directed.
5.0 REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently is required to walk, sit, climb, or balance, stand, talk or hear, stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to reach with hands and arms.
- Position requires periodic scaling on ladders and crawling through small openings underneath buildings and structures in small, confined areas.
- Good health and good physical condition appropriate to the position. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision requirements include: close and distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, night vision, depth perception, the ability to adjust focus and read small print.
- Must be able to utilize communications and related equipment necessary to perform required duties.
- Ability to use a computer, calculator, and other office equipment standard to areas of assignment and to adapt to new and/or modified equipment which may be acquired.
- Must have knowledge of uniform Fire Codes, handicap laws, concrete inspection procedures, and construction for wind/snow loads.
- Must have the ability to interpret and apply pertinent laws, rules and regulations.
- Must be able to maintain work reliability at a level not less than 90% of average employee reliability over time.
6.0 MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- High school diploma or GED equivalent. Prior experience in construction work is preferred. Must have knowledge of building principles and practices, plumbing and mechanical principles, and State Energy Codes.
- Must be certified in the IRC, IBC, IMC and UPC and have a working knowledge of the IFC.
- Must be capable of obtaining a plan reviewer certification within one year unless waived by the County.
- Ability to successfully complete various required training classes and to obtain certificates necessary for functional skills performance, maintenance and improvement.
- Valid Washington State Driver’s License.
7.0 DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated knowledge of construction procedures so as to explain reasoning and logic behind codes. Ability to implement and maintain sound organizational practices.
- Familiarity with tools, instruments, equipment and techniques commonly used in the performance of related tasks.
- Maintains a high standard for accuracy, completeness, and efficiency in the preparation of reports. Independent and self motivated to complete required deadlines while simultaneously completing other tasks.
- Ability to quickly grasp new techniques, deal with rapid changes in events, remain calm in stressful situations, relate to various personality styles in a calm, professional manner.
- Understands the need for maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Effectively communicates with others, both in writing and orally.
- Assures efficient and effective utilization of volunteers and department personnel, funds, materials, facilities, and time.
- Ability to understand the Spanish language is desirable.
8.0 WORK ENVIRONMENT
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee works under office conditions and outside at job locations in all types of weather conditions.
- Travel is required on a daily basis going to job in all areas of the county and all types of driving conditions.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled