SUMMARY JOB DESCRIPTION
Position: Computer Systems Analyst Position Number: 401
Department: Central Services Classification: EXEMPT
Annual Hours: 2080
1.0 MAJOR FUNCTION AND PURPOSE
Persons in this position provide support to computer users in the use of application software products and responds to hardware, software and network problems with corrective procedures. Persons also provide network administration functions; design and maintenance of the county web pages; and, database programming.
2.0 SUPERVISION RECEIVED
Persons in this position are given significant discretion, within the scope of policy and regulations, in the routine performance of their duties. Supervision and guidance are received from the Director of Central Services.
3.0 SUPERVISION EXERCISED
Persons in this position do not supervise any staff but is required to supervise the Technology Services Assistant in the absence of the Director or as assigned.
4.0 SPECIFIC DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assists with the design, installation, and documentation of the count-wide network.
- Monitors performance of computer systems, taking corrective action as necessary.
- Assists users in the use of a variety of hardware devices and software packages.
- Troubleshoots failed application programs, to determine the cause and resolution of the problem(s).
- Troubleshoots failed system software components to determine the cause and resolution of the problem(s).
- Troubleshoots computer hardware and network communication failures.
- Installs and configures computer hardware and software packages to appropriate standards.
- Performs preventative maintenance for computers, data communication, and peripheral equipment. Tests and adjusts to appropriate standards.
- Schedules implementation of new systems, and resolves problems arising during implementation.
- Performs network administration functions, designs and supervises user authorizations, installs and configures network software, and monitors network security.
- Confers with department heads and key personnel to define web page needs. Designs and maintains the county web pages.
- Performs client-user training on commercial software packages when required.
- Performs as directed some duties of the Central Services Director in his/her absence.
- Performs other tasks as directed.
5.0 REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- Demonstrated knowledge of microcomputers and related operating systems and application software. Implement and maintain sound organizational practices.
- Ability to develop sets of instructions and arrange those instructions in a logical sequence, in order to achieve a desired outcome.
- Must have cognitive ability to analyze columns of numbers and text characters to identify repeating patterns, data errors, and related purposes.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hand/finger dexterity to handle objects, tools or controls. The employee frequently is required to sit. The employee is occasionally required to stand, walk and talk or hear.
- Good health and good physical condition appropriate to the position. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision requirements include: close vision, the ability to adjust focus and read small print.
- Must be able to utilize communications and related test equipment necessary to perform required duties.
6.0 MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Completion of 2 years college course work in Computer Science or related field or any combination of experience and/or training which provides knowledge of microcomputers and related operating systems and application software.
- Ability to successfully complete various required training classes and to obtain certificates necessary for functional skills performance, maintenance and improvement.
7.0 DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS AND ABILITIES
- Familiarity with tools, instruments, equipment and techniques commonly used in the performance of related tasks.
- Maintains a high standard for accuracy, completeness, and efficiency in the preparation of reports. Independent and self motivated to complete required deadlines while simultaneously completing other tasks.
- Ability to quickly grasp new techniques, deal with rapid changes in events, remain calm in stressful situations, relate to various personality styles in a calm, professional manner.
- Understands the need for maintaining confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Effectively communicates with others, both in writing and orally.
- Assures efficient and effective utilization of department personnel, funds, materials, facilities, and time.
8.0 WORK ENVIRONMENT
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee faces a typical office environment with a telephone, computer, and desk.
- Work is normally performed indoors and there are frequent interruptions.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee and is subject to change as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.
 On 12/13/00 BOCC reclassified position per Resolution No. R-113-00. On 12/14/09 BOCC changed classification to Employee Exempt Salary Schedule (EE1); Director modified with BOCC approval to change job description to reflect change from completion of 2 year s college course work to 4 years college course work
Deadline for Applying : Open until filled