Building and Planning

Building and Planning office hours are: 

Monday -Friday 8:00 am - 12:00am & 1:00pm - 4:00 pm
Office location is: 449 E Cedar Blvd, Othello, WA

All inspection will be conducted between 7:00am & 4:30pm Monday -Thursday

** PLEASE NOTE - Building permit applications can now be submitted on-line through our Citizens Connect portal, by using the link located on the left side of this page.

2021 Washington State Code Revised Effective Date

The State Building Code Council voted on September 15, 2023, to delay the effective date of the 2021 Washington State codes.  The new code effective date will be March 15, 2024.  The previous effective date was October 29, 2023 and July 1, 2023 respectively.

Adams County has recently adopted a Solar Energy Facilities Ordinance.
You can access the adopted o
rdinance using the link below until its official publication.
O-04-2023 Solar Energy Facilities

   Andie Lorenz,
  Director / Fire Marshal

Tammie Fetch 
Permit Technician

Karina Lawson
Associate Planner

Andrew Noles
Building Inspector / Code Enforcement Officer

    Building and Planning

    449 E Cedar Blvd 
    Othello WA, 99344

 Office Hours:
     Monday through Friday 

     8:00 am to 4:00 PM
Closed from 12-1pm for lunch
     (509) 488-9441 


Our Application Process

Please send all applications to: 
449 E Cedar Blvd Othello WA 99344.
To email your application please call 509-488-9441 for instructions.
you may download applications using this forms & applications link 
Please follow the application guidelines attached to your application packet to ensure a complete application submittal.

Some commonly asked questions

How do I schedule an inspection? 

  • To schedule an inspection, please use the Schedule an Inspection Link, located in the column on the left side of this page. you will need to register for the page in order to schedule an inspection. 
  • You may also call our office to schedule an inspection calls must be received between the hours of 8 am and 4 pm to be added to the next business days schedule.
  • Please note that inspections are available for scheduling Tuesday - Friday between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm. All inspections are conducted the next business day unless otherwise noted.
What is required on my site plan?

  • All existing and proposed buildings (size and location).
  • Driveways and patios, proposed or existing.
  • Water lines, location and purpose.
  • Property dimensions.
  • Adjacent roads, street names.
  • Ponds, irrigation canals, rivers, etc. within 100 feet of the property.
  • Proposed or existing sewage system location, including reserve system area.
  • All wells, irrigation or domestic on property.
  • All utility, access, or other easements located on the property.
  • Scale of drawing should be 1 in. = 20 feet, or other Planning Department approved engineer scale.

How long does plan review take?

  • Review times may vary based on project type and information submitted for review. A typical single family residences and additions/remodels take approximately a few weeks.  you may ask at Building Dept. for an estimated review time.

What inspections are required? 

  • Answer: Footings, foundation wall, Under floor, plumbing, mechanical, framing, insulation, wall board and final. Other inspections may be required if needed, e.g.: Fire Access, private road/drive construction.

What items are required before a building permit application may be submitted?

  • A complete and signed building application form. (Tax parcel number can be obtained from tax statement or Assessor's office.)
  • One complete sets of construction plans for residential applications (unless it is a manufactured home). Commercial require Two sets unless other wise directed by the Building Department. 
  • Completed site plan drawn to a min 1:20 engineer scale.
  • Water Availability - Approval. The Adams County Health District's Environmental Health Department will help determine the specific requirements you must meet.
  • Contact the Environmental Health Department at 509/488-2031 in Othello. (Water Availability not required for additions/remodels for single family residences.)
  • Septic/Sewer Approval: New residence: septic system permit or an Existing System Evaluation (ESE) from the Health District. Contact the Environmental Health Department at 509/488-2031. If City sewer is available, an availability letter from the City must be submitted.
  • Additions/remodels: ESE may be required for increase in floor space square footage.
  • Approved road approach permit from the Adams County Public Works Dept., (509-659-3288, in Ritzville. (For approach onto a state highway, contact Dept. of Transportation at (509) 575-2541.) Or, download the road approach permit form online.
  • All access roads or private driveways are to be graveled to within 150 feet of the residence to allow access for emergency vehicles. They are to have 20 ft. minimum width per the International Fire Code, 3 in. base course (of 2" minus pit run-minimum) with 2 in. top course (of 1.25" minus crushed). (Base course depth depends on existing soil type, check with the Adams County Fire Marshal for more information.)
    • Pre 1976 manufactured homes will require a certificate of inspection from the Dept. of Labor & Industries. Contact L&I at 509-764-6921 (Moses Lake) for further information.
    • Additions/remodels to factory assembled structures/manufactured homes require Dept. of Labor & Industries approval. Contact L&I at 509-764-6921 (Moses Lake) for further information.
    • Final septic system installation/approval (from the Health District) must be provided prior to final occupancy inspection.
    • For set-up of a manufactured home please request the installation fact sheet from the Building Department.

Where to obtain a building permit?

  • Answer: Adams County Building & Planning Department, 449 E Cedar BLVD, Othello. Monday - Friday, 8AM - 12:00 and 1:00 - 4:00PM.

What type of work requires a building permit?

  • Answer: Generally all types of work require a building permit including but not limited to: new homes, repairs and additions, remodeling, roofing, window replacement, wood/pellet stove installations, gas inserts, etc. If you have a question on whether or not you need a permit, please call the Adams County Building Dept. at (509) 488-9441