Building and Planning office hours are:
Monday -Friday 8:00 am - 12:00am & 1:00pm - 4:00 pm
Office location is: 449 E Cedar Blvd, Othello, WA
All inspection will be conducted between 7:00am & 4:30pm Monday -Thursday
** PLEASE NOTE - VIRTUAL INSPECTIONS ARE NOW AVAILABLE (DEPENDENT ON THE INSPECTION NEEDED)
BY THE BUILDING DEPARTMENT. SEE THE VIRTUAL INSPECTION HAND-OUT FOR MORE INFORMATION.
Building Official/Fire Marshal
Our Application Process
Please send all applications to:
449 E Cedar Blvd Othello WA 99344.
To email your application please call 509-488-9441 for instructions.
you may download applications using this forms & applications link
Please follow the application guidelines attached to your application packet to ensure a complete application submittal.
Some commonly asked questions
How do I schedule an inspection?
- To schedule an inspection, please use the Schedule an Inspection Link, located in the column on the left side of this page. you will need to register for the page in order to schedule an inspection.
- You may also call our office to schedule an inspection calls must be received between the hours of 8 am and 4 pm to be added to the next business days schedule.
- Please note that inspections are available for scheduling Tuesday - Friday between the hours of 8 am and 5 pm. All inspections are conducted the next business day unless otherwise noted.
- All existing and proposed buildings (size and location).
- Driveways and patios, proposed or existing.
- Water lines, location and purpose.
- Property dimensions.
- Adjacent roads, street names.
- Ponds, irrigation canals, rivers, etc. within 100 feet of the property.
- Proposed or existing sewage system location, including reserve system area.
- All wells, irrigation or domestic on property.
- All utility, access, or other easements located on the property.
- Scale of drawing should be 1 in. = 20 feet, or other Planning Department approved engineer scale.
How long does plan review take?
- Review times may vary based on project type and information submitted for review. A typical single family residences and additions/remodels take approximately a few weeks. you may ask at Building Dept. for an estimated review time.
What inspections are required?
- Answer: Footings, foundation wall, Under floor, plumbing, mechanical, framing, insulation, wall board and final. Other inspections may be required if needed, e.g.: Fire Access, private road/drive construction.
What items are required before a building permit application may be submitted?
- A complete and signed building application form. (Tax parcel number can be obtained from tax statement or Assessor's office.)
- One complete sets of construction plans for residential applications (unless it is a manufactured home). Commercial require Two sets unless other wise directed by the Building Department.
- Completed site plan drawn to a min 1:20 engineer scale.
- Water Availability - Approval. The Adams County Health District's Environmental Health Department will help determine the specific requirements you must meet.
- Contact the Environmental Health Department at 509/488-2031 in Othello. (Water Availability not required for additions/remodels for single family residences.)
- Septic/Sewer Approval: New residence: septic system permit or an Existing System Evaluation (ESE) from the Health District. Contact the Environmental Health Department at 509/488-2031. If City sewer is available, an availability letter from the City must be submitted.
- Additions/remodels: ESE may be required for increase in floor space square footage.
- Approved road approach permit from the Adams County Public Works Dept., (509-659-3288, in Ritzville. (For approach onto a state highway, contact Dept. of Transportation at (509) 575-2541.) Or, download the road approach permit form online.
- All access roads or private driveways are to be graveled to within 150 feet of the residence to allow access for emergency vehicles. They are to have 20 ft. minimum width per the International Fire Code, 3 in. base course (of 2" minus pit run-minimum) with 2 in. top course (of 1.25" minus crushed). (Base course depth depends on existing soil type, check with the Adams County Fire Marshal for more information.)
- SPECIAL NOTES!
- Pre 1976 manufactured homes will require a certificate of inspection from the Dept. of Labor & Industries. Contact L&I at 509-764-6921 (Moses Lake) for further information.
- Additions/remodels to factory assembled structures/manufactured homes require Dept. of Labor & Industries approval. Contact L&I at 509-764-6921 (Moses Lake) for further information.
- Final septic system installation/approval (from the Health District) must be provided prior to final occupancy inspection.
- For set-up of a manufactured home please request the installation fact sheet from the Building Department.
Where to obtain a building permit?
- Answer: Adams County Building & Planning Department, 449 E Cedar BLVD, Othello. Monday - Friday, 7:30AM - 12:00 and 1:00 - 4:00PM.
What type of work requires a building permit?
- Answer: Generally all types of work require a building permit including but not limited to: new homes, repairs and additions, remodeling, roofing, window replacement, wood/pellet stove installations, gas inserts, etc. If you have a question on whether or not you need a permit, please call the Adams County Building Dept. at (509) 488-9441