A deferral is an opportunity to have your ticket dismissed and not reported to the Department of Licensing. You must submit your request for a deferral within fifteen (15) days of the date you received the infraction.
You do not have to come to court to defer your ticket.
You may qualify for a deferral if:
- You have not had a deferral within the last seven years.
- You do not have a commercial driver's license (CDL) in any state.
- The infraction is not for:
- passing a school bus
- speeding in a construction zone
- any infraction where a fatality occurred
- If the infraction is for operating a motor vehicle without insurance, you can show proof of insurance when you request the deferral
Conditions of a deferral
- You must pay a $150 administrative fee within 30 days of the court's granting of deferral.
- You must not commit any new traffic infractions for twelve (12) months.
If you meet both conditions, your ticket will be dismissed and it will not be reported to the Department of Licensing.
If you do not comply with both conditions, a committed finding will be entered for your infraction and this will be reported to the Department of Licensing. In addition, a $52.00 penalty may be assessed for failure to pay the administrative fee. A failure to respond may be ordered and notification sent to the Department of Licensing to begin processing a suspension for your driver's license. There are no exceptions to this policy.
Requesting a deferral
You may also request a deferral by completing the Request to Defer Traffic Infraction form, printing it, and mailing it to the address below. If you do not have access to a printer, you may come to the courthouse to complete the form.
Mail completed forms to:
Adams County District Court - Othello
425 E. Main St., STE. 400
Othello, WA 99344